• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Really Nauseous in the Morning

mahatoka

Bluelighter
Just wondering if someone can help me out with this problem. Almost every morning I wake up 2 or 3 hours too early and am extremely nauseous, a lot of the time to the point where I'll throw up or dry heave. I wake up earlier than most people for my job, and it involves a lot of driving, so I'll often get sick on my job if I don't at home.

Google turned up a couple helpful things, it could be related to anxiety, which I have, but the nauseousness isn't accompanied by any anxiety. It always goes away within four or five hours after waking up. I've tried a lot of things with changing my diet before bed and adjusting my sleep schedule a bunch, nothing alleviates it and it comes really randomly. I don't have insurance otherwise I wouldn't be asking this forum, just wondering if anyone else deals with this or knows anything about it.

Also I'm a guy, so no pregnancy.

Short of sleeping in later, I have nothing else to suggest--I, too, feel extremely nauseous in the morning when I wake up too early. My throat feels like I had thrown up. From my experience it seems to be related to acid reflux--Runs in my family and I'm not really prone to it except when I eat poorly. Maybe try taking a Tums or something before bed, if pills are your thing?

^^ I also have reflux and get that typical sore throat in the mornings if I forgot to take my reflux meds. It's awful. I have actually called in sick numerous times thinking that I've got laryngitis or tonsilitis, only to discover later in the day it was just reflux causing the sore throat 8)

mahatoka said:
Almost every morning I wake up 2 or 3 hours too early and am extremely nauseous, a lot of the time to the point where I'll throw up or dry heave.

I often have nausea in the mornings too and have been known to throw up bile for no reason other than that I haven't eaten yet and there's too much bile sitting in my stomach. Although it only happens to me like once every 3-4 months. It might be something to do with your gall bladder producing too much bile or something like that?? Wild guess.

You really need to see a doctor about this though. If there's some medical reason for the nausea there is really nothing anyone on here can do for you unfortunately.

Have you tried eating as soon as you get up?? Something really bland but fulfilling like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with butter and a cup of tea. I KNOW how horrible and difficult it is to choke down something when you're feeling sick but it could really help.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I kind of figured it'd come down to seeing a doctor anyway, but I thought I'd wait it out since I'm leaving my job in a month and will be able to get on a normal sleep schedule. Really hope it isn't a problem with my gall bladder but it is always just bile, even if I eat before bed.

I've also tried eating right away, it's really hard for me to do. I can usually get down a few crackers or a piece of bread but it's a struggle, and I never noticed it alleviating the problem, maybe because I could never eat a substantial amount. And once it starts it's impossible to sleep again, as the nausea gets worse when I lay down, but if I get a full night of sleep it never happens. I suppose I'll start checking into cheap doctors in the area though, since it seems like it could be a lot more serious than I thought. Thanks for the help.

I get what OP gets .

No ideaaaa what it is .

Ever since i've had a gf it's gone down though.

I'm no expert but maybe it's linked with depression/serotonin receptors in your stomauch ?

My friend had this and I believe it was related to gluten sensitivity and it went away when she stopped eating gluten. But it could be a lot of things!

Don't underestimate the effect stress can have on your digestive system. I often feel ill on waking early but it soon passes, but when i worked a job I hated I often spent the first 10 minutes of the day in the bathroom throwing up. Good to hear you're leaving the job soon.

sounds like gluten intolerance. trying not eating anything with gluten in it for one day and see if it stops.

also try taking probiotics for a few days and a glass of apple cider vinegar before bed should really clear out your g.i. tract.

Well I've been doing way better in the last week, and I'm done with the shit job, so I'm thinking it was just stress, although I found a cheap doctor so I'm going to get checked out anyways. But I have an awesome job opportunity now, and I've been getting a lot more sleep, and a lot less nausea in the morning, so I think it was just my job plus a lack of sleep every night. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

i find if i dont eat close enough to going to bed ill wake up feeling nauseaus cuz im hungry, but then it will be hard to get food down

some people advise against easting before bed (because of heartburn)
but i have to, i also have a fast metabolism

I'm glad I found this thread!

This has been happening to me for some time now since I stopped using recreational drugs. During the morning I have no appetite what-so-ever, but at night I have extreme munchies. This thead has a lot of good suggestions, but I also don't know what to do anymore.

Are there any supplements that would help with this?